Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Chowdown at Sab-E-Lee Thai Restaurant



First, a great big thanks to Lillian for organizing this C-down and to Pat and Angie for the great company!

I like Thai food, but I don't know anything about it. Hell, if I did, I would have given up that coconut milky-goodness known as green curry a long time ago. My new Thai love: catfish larb. What is larb, you ask? It's ground protein, roasted almost to a jerky, that's marinated in lime juice, chilis, and herbs, and topped with rice powder.

For further edification, I leave you in the capable hands of Kirk (make sure to follow the links at the post's end to his past entries about Sab-E-Lee). In fact, it was at Sab-E-Lee that I ran into him. Hi, Kirk!

We ordered many dishes, but I was so busy eating that I'd forgotten to take pictures! Hence, there are only 3 photos from the whole shebang. Anyway, we ordered pad see-ew, which D. is rather particular about.

I really enjoyed it and I don't normally like pad see-ew. The flavor was great and there was clearly excellent
wok hei, as Kirk mentioned. D., however, thought that Bangkok Thai in the Emery Bay Public Market does it better.

Lillian wanted to try the spicy mint leaves on steamed pork leg. I think they meant basil when they said mint, but I love herbs, so why quibble over semantics?

I liked the dish, although the pork could have been a bit more tender. Other dishes not pictured included the mixed vegetables, panang curry (excellent with less coconut milk than most typical Thai places), and a fiery papaya salad.

It's been a few weeks since the Chowdown, but I'm still thinking about that larb. Yum.

Sab-E-Lee
2405 Ulric Street
San Diego, CA 92111

6 bites:

KirkK said...

Hi GF - It was nice to run into you all as well! That catfish larb is wonderful isn't it? thanks so much for the links!

The Food Librarian said...

suppppppper yummy. I love thai food.

When you come up to Los Angeles, visit Renu Nakorn in Norwalk (I know, out of the way, but it rocks).

Anonymous said...

You must have been so busy eating, you forgot to take photos...a very good sign. Wonderful fresh food...with a kick. Perfect!
-Cathy

Little Miss Contrary said...

I was born and raised in Bangkok, Thailand, and I can tell you that Sab-E-Lee is hands-down the most authentic Thai place in San Diego. Their style is distinctively more Northeast (in their specialty dishes, including larb) than what I may be used to in Bangkok, but their food is really quite fantastic.

Anonymous said...

great site and great topic

Anonymous said...

This catfish larb sure looks yummy! I'm sure it'll be a big hit with kids of all ages!Although I'm to a big fan of catfish larb.Your catfish larb recipe presentation is an eye-pleaser.thank you for shearing your post.

6 bites